Motivation is Not A Part-Time Job
Learn The Forces That Negatively Affect Your Motivation
Why is it that most New Year’s resolutions fail? Who has started a diet but failed to achieve their weight loss goal? Or started a DIY project at home without completing it? Do any of these questions sent familiar to you?
The answer is yes for many of us, including myself. But why is it that we start off with the best of intentions but failed to deliver on the desired goal?
The answer to this question is answered by one simple word – motivation.
We often set goals and aspirations with the best of intentions. We are full of motivation. All of us start with great confidence, knowing what the finish line looks like. But life gets in the way of our great starting motivation and distracts us from achieving our goals. Let us discuss the forces that slow down our motivation.
There are two types of forces that negatively affect our motivation – intrinsic and extrinsic.
Extrinsic forces are unpredictable and difficult to prevent. Examples of these include getting injured, receiving a legal notice or discovering that your roof is leaking and needs thousands of dollars for repairs. All of these are examples of extrinsic forces that distract you and sap motivation from you. Therefore, it requires you to be in a continued state of preparedness. Achieving a greater level of mindfulness is one solution. People that pursue a daily practice of mindfulness are equipped to respond, rather than react to these unexpected life surprises.
Intrinsic forces are those created by ourselves that work against our positive motivation. These forces are the worst ones to deal with for they occur daily and come from different angles. Some examples of these intrinsic forces include self-doubt, pessimism, procrastination or impatience. William Shakespeare was quoted as saying “our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.” It is true that self-doubt is a traitor to our motivation. However, there are simple things that can be done to hack your mind away from these traitors to your motivation.
Simple life hacks to combat what drains your motivation.
- Meditate daily with focus on self-affirmations. These the self-affirmations work through the subconscious part of the mind to foster positive motivation. Moreover, select one affirmation to repeat each morning through your meditation practice. Examples of self affirmations the following:
- “I love myself unconditionally – for it is the key to your personal happiness”
- “I am the source of my own inspiration”
- “Focus on building patience – for it nourishes your self-confidence”
- Reflect daily on your motivation progress. Assess if any of these negative intrinsic factors are creeping in. Take a note if you are getting impatient, you are procrastinating or you are having self-doubt.
- If so, take a step back in your day and refocus on why you made the goal in the first place. When your goal was first set, your motivation was at its highest. importantly, you must circle back to rekindle that original feeling of positive motivation.
- Reward yourself. Staying the course should be periodically rewarded. It is important to have a reward tree This reward tree maps out the type of reward with the type of goal/accomplishment.
- Simple goals, such as staying motivated daily could receive a chocolate truffle. While bigger goals will be rewarded with bigger rewards. An example could include, if I lose 10 pounds of body weight in 30 days, I will treat myself with a new dress.
- Rewards with goals are excellent ways to provide internal motivation and eliminate the power of negative intrinsic forces.
- Find your “go to” source for inspiration. For some, this may be your favorite song, a photograph or a famous speech. Go back to that source and immerse yourself in it, capture the positive vibes.
- For me, I am inspired by Gord Downie who is the lead singer for the rock band The Tragically Hip and is battling terminal brain cancer. When I seek inspiration, I go and watch the video of their last concert that they performed in their hometown, while Gord was battling his terminal illness.
Remember, motivation is not a part-time job. It requires constant vigilance and awareness that there are negative forces that drain your motivation every day, every hour, every minute. Finding ways to combat these negative forces are the key to staying motivated. Finally, staying motivated is your key to finding personal success.